I practice as both a couple and individual counsellor and have over 12 years experience in the field of counselling and psychotherapy.
Nearly all couples experience stress at some stage in their relationship. Stress and anxiety are a natural, healthy part of being in a relationship as long as it denotes self-development and expansion.
However, couples get stuck through, for example: infidelity; no longer being able to communicate adequately with each other; no longer having good sex; repeating the same old arguments; feeling lost in the relationship; the relationship has become stale and stagnant; they have experienced a personal loss/trauma or suffer from infertility, depression etc.
Often the only option couples are able to see, in such dire circumstances, is to end their relationship, bury their feelings, and try to move on. Unfortunately, this often leads to a repeat of circumstances in new relationships further down the line, unless the underlying root cause(s) have been worked through, and the important lessons learnt and integrated.
Whether couples decide to end their relationship or continue to move forward together, as a counsellor and therapist I offer couples the opportunity to get a deeper understanding of the underlying issues that caused their relationship to decline or ultimately fail. In this way, couples can free themselves from outdated behaviour patterns that once kept them locked in misery, and look forward to a brighter future.
As a couple in therapy I will enable you to:
- Clearly understand the underlying issues causing your problems
- Share your true thoughts and feelings by learning effective communication methods
- Learn different techniques to change your behaviour and reduce stress in your relationship
- Learn how to reduce your own stress and strengthen your relationship with yourself
- Help you put an end to power struggles and find more harmonious ways forward
- Show you how by taking full responsibility for your actions can be truly empowering!
Despite the multitude of communication methods available today, many clients come with a feeling of isolation. There is a strong feeling of alienation from the world, but even more importantly alienation from the self.
Society projects messages which are often at odds with what people really feel or indeed need, leaving them in a state of confusion, no longer knowing who they are or which way to turn.
Counselling is a safe, space in which to explore your most intimate issues - fears, needs, desires etc. a place to experience your vulnerability and as a result develop in a more authentic way of being.
My experience includes working with clients who have experienced difficulties with:
- Adult survivors of childhood abuse (sexual / emotional / psychological)
- Chronic illness - including chronic fatigue (M.E.)
- Couple / relationship issues
- General counselling - specific counselling for personally identified issues
- Identity problems (sexual or other)
- Loss personal / emotional / material etc
- Major life changes
- Midlife crisis / menopause / andropause (male mid-life crisis)
- Personal development issues
- Redundancy (e.g. loss of identity)
- Relationships issues
- Self esteem / confidence issues
- Stuck in negative states, behavioural patterns
- Women's issues
- Work related issues
I am also trained in what is known as energy psychology, which is a relatively new field and addresses issues gently and safely on a deeper level by releasing blocked energy and facilitating resolution, otherwise often left untouched energetically by talking therapies.
Energy therapy allows you the client to find the underlying causes of your symptoms and distressing behaviours in a self-empowering way, and my job is simply to facilitate you and hold the space. This process enables you to reach a resolution on the issue you present and facilitate the change of old beliefs that often left you behaving in ways you were unable to move on from, leaving you stuck in the past.
Qualifications & Training
- I am a Registered member of the BACP.
- My latest qualification is in EFT (Advanced) and Matrix Re-Imprinting I completed my training at the EFT and the Matrix Re-Imprinting Academy by the founder of Matrix Re-Imprinting Karl Dawson.
- I qualified as a counsellor having gained a Post-graduate Diploma in Counselling awarded by the University of West London (a BACP-accredited training).
- Hold a Certificate in Psychosexual Health.
- Qualified couple & psychosexual therapist, having completed a Diploma in Integrative Psychosexual Therapy (accredited by the National Council of Psychotherapists).
- Hold an MSc in Cognitive Neuropsychology awarded by Birkbeck College, University of London.
- Have a background in psychology including a BA (Hons) Social Science majoring in Psychology from Middlesex University
- I trained in Neuro-linguistic Programming obtaining a Master Practitioner in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming).
- My professional development has also included more transpersonal approaches such as psychosynthesis.
- My therapy experience includes training in art therapy and the provision of art therapy for people with mental health issues in a hospital setting.
- During my training I worked for the NHS as a general counsellor.
My fees at LC: £75+vat - individual 50 mins session. £92+vat - couple 50 mins session